Parents and educators of kids have an essential role in food education, so it must be done with time and dedication and in a fun and educational way. Some recommendations for teaching healthy eating habits to children are:
Tips To Teach
- Transmit the importance of food and diversity depending on the needs of the body. Show them the nutritional pyramid.
- In the supermarket, show them the possibilities we have in choosing the right foods among a range of possibilities.
- At mealtime, teach them good habits such as washing their hands before eating. Following good table manners also eating slowly and calmly.
- Let them help in your kitchen work by making them participants, so that they learn the dangers and good chores.
- Make the dishes attractive, with smells, flavors or textures that stimulate the desire to eat.
- At lunchtime, use utensils that are manageable for them.
- Learn with videos and instructional books on food.
- Make mealtime enjoyable, attractive and relaxed.
- Hold conversations at the table, so they can express their experiences and give their opinions about the smells and tastes of food.
- Do not use meals as a reward or punishment.
Healthy Eating Habits For Children
Healthy eating habits are very important for children since they define them from an early age and influence what they will do throughout their lives. We tell you 7 healthy eating habits for children that will help your children to grow responsibly for food.
- Wash your hands before eating. Hygiene is essential in order to avoid all kinds of diseases, as it is the first barrier against germs such as bacteria or viruses. Even if they have not been to the bathroom before, however it is, it is important that they wash their hands before sitting at the table.
- Concentrate on food. At lunchtime, children should not be playing or watching television. It is important that before sitting at the table children leave these activities to focus on food.
- Hydration, better through water and natural juices. Aerated drinks and fruit juices with added sugar are not good choices when it comes to drinking, as well as creating customs that are then very difficult to remove in children. A good eating habit for children is to drink water as a source of hydration. Check out our article on why water is important for children.
- Do not use sweets as prizes. Neither before eating nor after eating. It is preferable that children follow a food routine of 5 meals a day so that they do not arrive too hungry for lunch and dinner.
- Communication. Mealtime is not only for taking food but also for communicating with the family. It is a great time to chat about what was done that day, share experiences and ideas.
- Children should eat varied, appetizing foods and if possible they have a simple presentation and arouse their interest and desire to eat. When new foods are presented to children, it is a good occasion to decorate the food plate. So they will be more interested in trying it.
- Basic protocol standards. How to hold the cutlery, do not speak with your mouth full, do not cross your arms on the table. It is convenient to teach children these basic rules of the protocol to know how to be at a table since childhood.